All I Want For Christmas is a Smart Home
What makes a home a smart home?
Being able to interact with devices in your home wirelessly through your smartphone.
With changing technology, there comes a time when we ask why is it important to have a smart home? The simple answer is it helps improve the quality of life.
Having a smart home can help save you money on your electric bill by being able to access your air conditioner remotely and other energy devices in your home. You have control of devices remotely, giving you the freedom to program devices to come on/off from a location other than your home.
Another bonus to having a smart home is having a more secure home. Many products are geared toward security, giving you access to what is happening at your home even when you are not there.
Lastly, a smart home provides automation, giving you more comfort and freedom. Being able to customize your home to what makes your life easier. Being able to play music just by simply asking a device, monitoring your kids play in their rooms and having the ability to control your environment at the tip of your fingertips.
With all the advantages, smart technology is still up and coming and can be pricey.
Here are some smart devices that we thought every home could use.
- Nest Thermostat - this device adapts to your lifestyle and changing seasons. After a week, it learns your needs and programs itself. The nest provides you with how much energy you are using so you can adjust your schedule and save money.
- Samsung SmartThings Hub - Using the SmartThings Hub gives you access to connect different devices such as smart locks, lights, outlets, thermostats and much more from your phone. The advantage is being to have control remotely to your home security, energy usage, and lighting.
- Phillips Hue Smart Light Bulbs- The Phillips Smart Light Bulb gives you access to endless possibilities with light. Besides a range of colors and light tones, you can program your lights to mimic sunsets and sunrises, have lights gradually increase as you wake up and remotely control them when you are not home.
- Amazon Echo - The Echo has many functions to make your life easier. By just using your voice you can play music, call or message handsfree, connect to smart devices and control your Fire TV. The Echo can answer questions, tell you the weather/traffic, read the news and much more. It is compatible with Wemo, Phillips Hue, Sony, Samsung Smart Things, Nest and much more.
- Belkin WeMo Switch - Control any lights in your home with Belkin WeMo switches from your smartphone or tablet. Using the free Wemo app, you can schedule your lamps to turn off at sunrise or synchronize your front light with the sunset, so you never come home to a dark house.
- Curb energy monitoring device - Curb connects directly to your breaker panel giving you instant access to your energy consumption, allowing you to make smarter decisions about your energy use and timing.
- Samsung Powerbot R7040 Robot - This advanced robot vacuum is one of a kind, with a powerful suction, self-clean brush, full view sensor, edge clean master, visionary mapping plus and has the ability to be controlled through your smart phone or Amazon Echo. It allows you to sit back and relax as it cleans your floors.
- Schlage Sense Smart Deadbolt- These smart locks work with Apple Siri, giving you voice-activated control to unlock your doors. Lose your keys? No worry, you can program over 30 access codes to enter through the app. Provide guests with a code to enter your home without giving them a key and you can easily delete that code once they no longer need it.
- Nest Smoke Detectors- Get instant notification on our phone if there is smoke in your home. This Smart Detector allows you to silence the alarm from your phone instead of getting a ladder or using a dish towel. Another smart feature is its ability to check its sensors and batteries itself, lasting up to a decade.
- Ring - The Ring Doorbell allows you to answer the door from anywhere. You can get instant video feed of anyone at your door or who rings your doorbell. You can remotely speak to someone at your door, even if you are not home. The ring app stores videos of all motion at your door, don't ever miss a package being delivered again. You can also add security stick-up cameras that integrate with the Ring Doorbell.
Idevices - Welcome to the comfort, security, and convenience of a smart home. This website offers an easy and secure way to control your home's lights, thermostats and more all through one device.
Modern smart technology is giving homeowners a new sense of control of there homes. How does a smart home do with resale?
When it comes time to sell a smart home, sellers will have an abundance of effective selling points. Homes with automated systems have the potential to sell for much more than comparable homes with conventional technologies.